Monday, March 12, 2012

Day 2: Good Morning Mary, I am Here to See Your Son

Good Morning Mary, I am Here to See Your Son

Sunday March 12, 2012 Santa Fe, New Mexico


At our initial meeting for this trip, Professor Griggs, spoke to us about our visit to new Mexico, and I recall her saying how much this journey would or could if you are so inclined, become very much a spiritual pilgrimage. Little did I realize how real this would be for me..

After a real New Mexico breakfast of Enchiladas, eggs and green chili, I began my tour of town. I walked north to begin finding Water Ave, and the Museum of Art. Inside I was first lead into an old chapel, (#1) this one was a copy of one of Santa Fe’s first missions. The way I felt as I entered was much like I had interfered with an on going service, problem was, and there were well over forty empty pews. I though, clearly understood that my God was meeting me there. I stood silently as he prepared me for the day. Then moving on into the art gallery, I stood in awe of a painting, by James Drake, entitled Salon of 1000 souls, realizing that it captured me in the same manner that Peter Paul Rubin’s, Baroque collection at the Ringling does. I spoke with a docent who told me that Drake was in essence captured with Rubin’s work wanted his art to express much the same emotion as did Rubin’s. There was another fine exhibit that I like almost as equally, David Taylor, an accomplished photographer, had an exhibit on display here. He has photographed all 276 border monuments along the US-Mexican line. This presentation is as moving as it can be humorous. You really must see to understand the beauty. A quick trip through the Museum of Natural History, with stops at Saint Johns Bible Exhibit, where I learned to, Shikantaza, or as we would say, just sit, and then finished at the Palace of Governors.

From there I wandered over to The Cathedral Basilica Saint Francis,(#2) and it was here that for the first time in my life I went to a Mass service that was not for the dying. Then, on I went a few blocks to Saint John the Baptist,(#3) to see the vanishing staircase. This cathedral clearly does not play second to the staircase; it is a moving worship center without the benefit of the main attraction. And yes I was as surprised as you would to find a gift shop in this church, a first for me. With two o’clock coming and a bus ride ahead I finished a productive and moving tour of Santa Fe.

I will interject here that as I was on this walk that produced such incredible peace, I learned from a local mans advice, how to deal with altitude sickness. With his and my wife’s advice I was able to stem the tide early enough that though I did suffer some, it was under control by late afternoon. I am so fortunate to be traveling with my group as they as well have lent their support and aid.

On our ride to the town of Taos, New Mexico, our next stop, we made a stop at Chimayo. I know it can be hard to find words to describe this place, however I will try. Chimayo is another of God’s cathedrals. It is a place in the mountains of New Mexico where the locals have carved out a place of worship, healing and peace for all who choose to come. They say that should you decide to enter the church, and I did, (#4) one is able to enter below the alter, and collect some red dirt, that has healing powers. I will simply state that I believe strongly that it is the Faith demonstrated by the traveler that moves God’s hand. This was the crowning moment of the day for me.

God was not finished with me yet. Those who know me well know of my love of wildlife. Not in hunting but in the rare moments where I am able to see some of his beauty around me. So to finish the day, we stopped just seven miles from Taos, our destination, and walked across the Rio Grande River on a bridge. While crossing I noticed something moving about half way down the gorge, and there, though small, we were treated to a herd of Big Horn Sheep, grazing on a ledge, over 600 feet up the side of the canyon wall. When I relayed this to our bus driver, Kathy, she said in all the times her groups have crossed the bridge, none before have ever reported seeing sheep, or any other wildlife.

I am content with day two and look forward to day three….

No comments:

Post a Comment